Jimerson Law Firm, P.C.

What Types of Auto Accident Claims do You Handle?

We handle many types of auto accident claims, the most common of which involve rear-end collisions. We also handle T-bone collisions, trucking accidents which normally involve serious injury or death; and accidents involving drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Call us at (314) 786-3536 to speak with our St Louis, Missouri lawyers.

What Are The Top Misconceptions People Have About Auto Accident Cases?

One of the top misconceptions is the belief that a person must be severely injured to get a recovery from the insurance company. However, most people don’t really know if they are injured or not. They may feel some pain associated with being hit by a car, but they don’t understand that even things which feel insignificant at the time can progress into serious issues that have lasting, if not lifelong effects. In these cases, it is important to fully understand your rights.

What Are The Top Misconceptions That People Have About The Personal Injury Process?

Many people hold the misconception that they can handle a case by themselves. In large part, this is because insurance companies urge people into believing that they are accepting fair settlements. However, the damages collected without an attorney are far less than they would be with an attorney. An attorney can take the case further and explain the damages to the insurance company in a way that leaves the client with a greater recovery. Most people believe that when an insurance adjuster calls, they can just tell them that they are hurt, and the insurance company will give them whatever the company feels is fair. I believe that is a big miscalculation of the interests of the insurance company, and I also believe that it does a disservice to fully assessing the damage to the person who is injured.

What is The Difference Between a Fault State And a No-Fault State? How Does it Apply to an Auto Accident Claim in Missouri?

Missouri is a comparative negligence state. A no-fault state means that damages can be recovered regardless of who was at fault; it just matters the degree of fault that each person carries. In a comparative fault state, the drivers go to trial and a jury assesses who is most at fault. For example, a jury might find one party to be 10% at fault and the other party to be 90% at fault. If that were the case, then the person who was deemed to be only 10% at fault would receive a 90% recovery. This is a substitution of the old contributory negligence rule which excluded all damages, even if a person was only the slightest degree at fault.

What is The Statute of Limitations For Bringing an Auto Accident Claim in Missouri?

The statute of limitations for bringing an auto accident claim in Missouri is normally five years from the date of the accident. If there was a death associated with the accident, then the statute of limitations can be as short as three years. In Illinois, the statute of limitations is just two years. An attorney should be very knowledgeable of the statute of limitations in any state where he is actively pursuing a case. The experienced St Louis Missouri lawyers at our office understand all the laws relating to auto accidents in St. Louis, MO. Our attorneys have handled numerous Missouri Accident Claims.

What Steps Should Someone Follow if They Are Injured And Need to File an Auto Accident Claim?

If someone is injured and needs to file an auto accident claim, they should not say anything until they speak with a lawyer. Oftentimes the insurance companies will call and ask for a recorded statement, but it’s not in your best interest to give them one without first speaking to a lawyer. The insurance company’s goal is to limit the amount of damages that they have to give out; it’s a profit gain for the insurance companies. The more they can limit the amount of damages they pay out, the more profitable that company will be. We understand it from a business perspective, but oftentimes people want to explain to the insurance company as if the insurance company is representing them about their injury. Realistically, the insurance companies are not concerned with protecting your interests; they just want to minimize what they pay out.

For more information on Auto Accident Claims In Missouri, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (314) 786-3536 today. Our Saint Louis auto accident Lawyers have handled numerous Missouri Accident Claims successfully. Give us a call to talk with a Saint Louis auto accident Lawyer at our office.

Johnson Box image

Call for a Free Consultation
(314) 786-3536

Related Articles

Related Topics